Eglise Saint-Jean-Baptiste du Temple

Historic site and monument, Church in Carentoir
Opening hours and services not guaranteed
imgcarousel-name-mising© destination Brocéliande
imgcarousel-name-mising© Destination Brocéliande
imgcarousel-name-misingDavid Naël
imgcarousel-name-misingChantal Princelle
imgcarousel-name-misingDavid Naël
  • There were two naves at the time of its construction, separating a parish church from a chapel reserved for the Templars by a dividing wall pierced by a Romanesque archway. The Templars' chapel was only reserved for members of the Order. The nave served as a church for the parishioners. Removed in 1935, the wall was rebuilt in the early 2010s. There is also a collection of artworks that combine the artistic theme of a military and religious order's church with that of a parish church over...
    There were two naves at the time of its construction, separating a parish church from a chapel reserved for the Templars by a dividing wall pierced by a Romanesque archway. The Templars' chapel was only reserved for members of the Order. The nave served as a church for the parishioners. Removed in 1935, the wall was rebuilt in the early 2010s. There is also a collection of artworks that combine the artistic theme of a military and religious order's church with that of a parish church over the centuries.
    A remarkable altarpiece is displayed in the church, behind which is a three-lobed cross. One of the last recumbents in France is in the church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste du Temple. Classified as a Historic Monument, it dates from the late 13th century and is described as a Templar or a local lord. Free visits take place in July and August only, and during the Heritage Days in September. For more information, contact the Tourist Office on 02 99 08 21 75 or the Carentoir Town Hall on 02 99 08 84 07.

    Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Services
  • Equipment
    • Bar
  • Services
    • Disabled facilities and reception
Close